December 14, 2011

Your Goals Should Bring God Glory

Your Goals Should Bring God Glory
by Rick Warren


We make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. 2 Corinthians 5:9 (NIV)
"Any goal you set that causes you to trust God more, brings glory to God."

Not every goal is a good goal or the kind of goal that God gets behind and helps you accomplish.

So what kind of goals does God bless? The Bible says, “Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV) That means if you are going to set some goals, they need to be goals that bring glory to God.

Now, it says whatever you eat – honestly, if I sit down at a restaurant I don't naturally think which food will bring the most glory to God. I'm not thinking that one at all. Would I probably be healthier if I did? Of course.

But there is a bigger point and that is that everything can be done for the glory of God -- eat, drink or anything that you do.

Does that mean I can close a sale for the glory of God? Yes. Does that mean I can sweep the house for the glory of God? Yes. Does that mean I can program computers for the glory of God? Yes! You can do anything to the glory of God. I can macramé to the glory of God.

You say, ‘Well, how do I do that? It requires the right attitude and the right motivation. The right attitude is ‘I do it out of gratitude.’ The right motivation is ‘I do it to honor God.’

How do you know if it's going to bring glory to God? Any goal that causes you to love God more brings glory to God. Any goal you set that causes you to trust God more, brings glory to God. Any goal you set that causes to you obey God, to love God, to serve God, any goal that causes you to want to brag on God and tell unbelievers, ‘Look what he did for me’ -- that's the goal that brings glory to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment