March 12, 2011

Day 3: Love Is Not Selfish



"The opposite of love is selfish....."

Wow!  Day 3 lasted over a week for me and it was such an amazing growing period for me!  I learned so many wonderful things about this topic.  First, I learned that no matter what, we must always be true to ourselves and to the desires that God has placed in our heart.  However, there is a balance......with that being said, I learned about truly being selfless towards others.  Love does not seek it's own and after really going deep into the idea of being selfless towards God, I had to also really dig deep into being selfless towards others and try and understand this balance. 

"....even generous acts can be selfish....."

Guilty!  I am totally guilty of this and I did not even realize it.  I have at times done something nice simply because I didn't want somebody to think I was being rude or to think that I was selfish but I did not really mean it.  I learned a huge listen about this over the last couple of weeks.  I truly learned how making a selfless decision is not totally selfless if our heart doesn't really mean it. 
"Almost every sinful action ever committed can be traced back to a selfish motive." 

"Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves." Philippians 2:3

In most relationships, we tend to have a wall up and always seeking what they are doing for us or what they are not doing for us.  In order to have a successful relationship it's vital that we ask ourselves daily what we can do for the other person and do so with the total intention of love.  I'm not saying this is always easy but the rewards are priceless!

Dare to be selfless!

No comments:

Post a Comment